Friday, June 25, 2021

CHAPTER 96 TO 100

 

 

Chapter 96

Sneha’s Diary

   5th May 2012

 

Hi Georgie,

 

I have always believed that the best way to enjoy life to explore it. I had always wanted to travel to many places and meet new people, do new things and cherish all that experience that will make me a better person. Joining this LGBT movement has been that soul searching kind of an experience for me.

 

Being from the software background, I have been asked to handle the website making and handling the payment gateway for accepting donations and stuff. Since we wanted to enter the politics right from the grassroot level, we are going to fight the forthcoming municipal elections on 12th june. We first want to win people’s hearts by solving their basic problems of roads, bridges, water, sanitation, etc. and then move up the ladder of politics.

 

The other day Sunita didi had come to my home to share her grief. She still couldn’t believe that her husband was into guys too. She was shocked when I told her that I was thinking of fighting the local elections on behalf of the LGBT movement. I tried explaining her that Aditi’s father shouldn’t have been put in jail for sex with a man, but he surely deserved it for cheating didi. After a lot of contemplation, and no discussion with Aai Baba, I have decided to take the plunge and do my bit to help the movement to the LGBT people what they deserve.


Tonight I will put posters made by my Rahul in the whole society. It will be kind of a shock to everyone that Kulkarni’s daughter is doing all this! But I know what I am doing is right.

 

I made my sweet Aditi Puran-Poli and Thecha and some really tasty Shikaran which is like banana milkshake! I make some really awesome food, Georgie! Someday I will make lovely dishes for Kavita Amma, Rahul and his partner.

 


 

Chapter 97

Sneha’s Diary

    6th May 2012

 

 

By 1.30 PM there were more and more concerned society uncles and aunties coming in to tell me that what I was planning to do was not appropriate as per the Indian culture and that I shouldn’t support “those” people by standing in elections supporting their agenda. Our neighbour- Deshmukh uncle- suggested that I should stop all this nonsense. Otherwise no Marathi Brahmin man in his right mind would ever marry me! All I could do was look at these elders and see how biased we are against an orientation that we normally aren’t comfortable with.

 

Around 4.00 PM I received a call from Vikram Chandra Pawaskar- the incumbent leader from our constituency. His style of talking was typical like we see in movies. He first congratulated me on my bravado and then emphasised how good it is to see women power coming up in the politics to change this country. He continued his bullshit for a few more minutes before subtly warning me to step down from the upcoming elections against him. He said that anyway I wouldn’t win because of the cause I was supporting. So I better save my honour by withdrawing my candidature.

 

The more the number of obstacles that are thrown in my way, the more determined I am becoming to fight the cause that I have taken


up. The nail in the coffin was when I received this mail from some snehadidimyhero@gmail.com at around 7.00 PM-

 

“Sneha didi,

 

I am very very proud to know you. I am extremely happy to see that you are standing for a cause that has been asking for attention since ages, but people shy away from supporting it. I am not going to disclose my name for obvious reasons but I can tell you that I am a teenager who has been living in the closet for many years and have been finding it difficult to come out of the closet because I am not sure how my conservative parents will react to it. They might even beat me like hell. I stay in your complex only and I am wearing the garb of a macho while I feel like a girl inside. Anyways, all the best for your fight for LGBT. I am with you, anonymously of course.”

 

Later I had a word with Vandu about my decision and she supported me like hell. She shared with me stories of how comfortably people in US are allowed to live their own life in their own terms. Of course I requested Vandu to not discuss this matter with Aai and Baba. She shared a few pics of her pregnant self. There is this super glow on her face. My sweet didi is about to be a mother. I am feeling so overwhelmed right now that I can’t stop myself from crying.

 

Georgie, gotta go now. I don’t want my tears to smudge your beautiful pages. Good night!


 


Chapter 98

 Sneha’s Diary

7th May 2012

 

 

Today the core team of our LGBT movement met at Aangan Hamara to discuss how we are going to handle the upcoming LGBT parade on 13th May, the mass-coming out on 17th May and fighting the upcoming municipal elections.

 

I put across the team my willingness to stand against Vikram Chandra Pawaskar in the upcoming Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation (KDMC) election. Dikshita, an Econimics Major, is going to fight from Borivli. Soumya, a journalist at a major newspaper in Mumbai, from Kandivli. Aslam from Kurla. Vrajesh from Powai and Rahul from Sion. Aslam suggested the name “Youngaystan Hai Hum” for our political party. We all liked it. Rahul promptly suggested a tagline for the party “The Rainbow that India has been waiting to witness”. Just then Rahul secretly held Aslam’s hand with love and affection. L That hand should have been mine na, Georgie? L

 

We all tried to convince Saahil to contest for the elections too, but that poor homophobic soul declined the offer but suggested that he will try to do his best by writing stories and stuff and will use his recent popularity to help our cause. He shared with us the high level plot of a story that he had conceptualised about the life of a teenager who is


trying to come out of the closet. Maybe he has started reading Gay literature to come out of his homophobic shell.

 

There are a few LGBT NGOs from whom Rahul had collected the details of the people in the community who would join us in such parades. He also had a list of contacts from media who would help us cover the event. I checked the list of people who I had to contact in the Kalyan Dombivli region for the march. There were only 30 names in the list. I SMSed them immediately and informed them about the march. Then in the evening I talked to them and explained the motto of the parade.

 

Before dispersing from Aangan Hamara, I talked to Soumya and Dikshita about their love for each other and how will they be together inspite of the societal pressures. They said that they have not yet come out of the closet and that they are going to use the 17th May to disclose it to their parents. They said that chances are high that their conservative parents will disapprove of their love, but they will find a way out.

 

Btw, Aslam’s father is working at a high level in police department. He took the baton of handling the permissions and stuff needed for the march to be held on 13th May. Aslam is lucky to have broad minded parents who have accepted his homosexuality and want him to live the life that he wants to. Lucky guy he is!

 

Rahul is going to mail us the posters that we will need for the march and we are supposed to meet directly at Azad maidan in South Mumbai on 17th May at around 10.00 AM.


Tomorrow I will go and meet the gang from my area who will be a part of the parade.

 

Georgie, all of a sudden my life has changed so much na! Like for example a few months ago was just sitting in front of the PC in office and talking to people I didn’t like and making softwares I didn’t like making and was getting paid not as much was I deserved. I was fed up of everyday commute. I was kind of not even aware of the LGBT people who were living lives in such suffocation. Earlier I used to shirk at the eunuchs and shoo them away. Now I won’t. Now I totally empathaise with them. Hey Georgie, what if I contact the local transgender community and ask for their support? Huh?? I want as much support as possible to make an impact in the whole upheaval for universal rights.

 

Too many things to do tomorrow. Good night. Oh btw, I am gonna drop an SMS to Saahil about the lovely concept of the story that he has thought of. Ok chalo bbye good night, Georgie!


 



Chapter 99

     Sneha’s Diary

     8th May 2012

 

 

Hi Georgie, right now it’s 9.50 PM and I am sipping Jack Daniels; mostly neat! Today in the morning at around 11, I met some 13 guys and 1 girl who are going to join the march 5 days from now. The girl’s name was not in the list but somehow she got the information through our network and decided to be a part of our movement. This is the kind of enthu I want to see. We met at a restaurant near Dombivli station. Out of those 14 people only 6 were homosexuals and the rest were hetero. I was very happy to find like minded people who are heterosexuals but still want to fight for a greater cause of universal rights. This is how our country will see a change when not only the oppressed fight for their rights, but also the sane and responsible upright citizens who feel the pain of other human beings.

 

So we discussed how they had handled the LGBT parades in the past and how we should be equipped to handle the upcoming one. I realised that even though I was the core member of our new party, these guys and girl had more necessary experience in handling such events. I felt a little dwarfed. Nevertheless in such events it’s the experience that counts more than the age or position. Vidhita Goswami, the other girl from our Dombivli group, suggested that we go to CST station directly by train and not by foot as I was suggesting


because it made no sense to walk a distance of 45 kms when no one is going to notice us on the road. We decided that we could make a charter kind of to help the voters in the upcoming municipal elections make an informed decision ie to vote for me. Vidhita suggested many points that could be a part of the charter. At one point I even wanted to step down and let her take the gauntlet of facing Vikram Pawaskar in the elections. I liked the clarity of her thought and the conviction with which she wanted make a difference in the society.

 

Just as we were in the middle of our discussion, a couple of eunuchs came to the restaurant asking for money. The supervisor at first tried to shoo them away but the stubborn eunuchs chose to stand their ground that they wouldn’t leave before they get at least 20 rupees. The supervisor gave them 20 rupees after some haggling and then the eunuchs went away. Something clicked in my mind and I ran to meet those eunuchs and invited them to be a part of our discussion. Rest of the customers were just looking at me when I requested the transgenders to be a part of our group and suggest what we could do. I explained them who I was, who we were and what our party “Youngaystan Hai Hum” party was planning to do. I could see discomfort rising in the customers nearby who started to get up choosing not be a part of such weird environment where even eunuchs were considered equal. The hotel owner not comfortable with his other customers leaving because of us personally came to our table to see if we had finished our snacks and requested that we should vacate our place for others. I got the message and gave him a stern look. I was about to burst out of anger, but chose not to as from now on every person in my area was a VOTE for me and not an enemy. I guess the politician in me is taking birth.

 

Again today, I received a mail from snehadidimyhero@gmail.com at around 7.00 PM-

 

“Hello Sneha didi. It was real pleasure meeting you today at the restaurant. I was overawed with the kind of ideas that you bring to the table and the enthusiasm that you have for this cause. I will be with you till the end of this struggle to get LGBT their rights in this country. Be strong and be the idol that I and thousands like me are looking for."

 

Still not sure he who he is. But at least now I know that he is amongst those 14 I met today!

 

In the evening while coming home via Phadke road I saw teenagers cuddling each other and enjoying the company of their prospective life partners. I stood there for some time and accidently my eyes focussed on a girl who looked like a younger version of me. I tried but couldn’t help take my eyes off her and her boyfriend who looked a simpleton like Saahil. All of a sudden their eyes met mine and out of embarrassment I didn’t know what to do and so kept walking towards them and suddenly smiled at the girl and blurted “don’t leave his side. He will keep you happy forever.” That made them smyle. And mee tooo. I mised mi chance becose of whatever reasons – my stupedity or arogance or whateva, but I genunly felt that that that younger versiun of me shouldn’t make tht misteke.


I am feeling low tonit my cute dairy. I want sm partnerrr. I wnt some love… some1 to care me …

 

rate nowe, Georgiet, I am down 7th nit peg of Jacky Dannys and then I am nut sire what I ill rite. Ok?

 

Love yaa forever my gerojeeieee… I lov yyaaaa.. saahul… rahi…kavita…I lv all.. mummmmma apapppaa…bandu… jinu…kash… vero… sahil…adu...


 




Chapter 100

Saahil’s Diary

 24th May 2012

 

  

I don’t know how to pen down these things. I am totally at a loss of words. I want to say sorry to Sneha and Rahul. But I will never be able to do that.

 

Sneha and Rahul were shot dead in front of the Café Coffee Day near our old age home. Some guys from Hindu and Muslim fascist groups was involved in this killing. Apparently Rahul had locked horns with those fundamentalists over the issues of LGBTQ rights. Rahul, a gay himself, vehemently tried to defend the universal rights of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders and queers. But a section of the society was totally against this and wanted to take revenge for his viral video on Gay Pride Parade. They had warned Rahul a number of times, but he had stood his ground that what he did was right.

 

They ransacked the old age home on 20th May. On 22nd Sneha and Rahul had gone for a cup of coffee at a nearby CCD. Just as Sneha and Rahul were coming out of the CCD, 3 guys with their faces covered shot at them from close range. They put 8 bullets in Sneha’s head and

 

9 in Rahul’s head. I wonder what was Sneha’s fault in all this? Why was Sneha punished? Just because a section of the society feels that they are born to clean the dirt from this country? Fucking motherfuckers


asshole idiots killed an innocent girl and a person who was asking for the right to live his life the way he wants.

 

I guess it’s better to be born as an animal that has the freedom to do whatever it wants than be a human being who is chained by the narrow-minded barbs of society. I am not sure how many Rahuls will have to die before the law of this country understands the universal right to live a fucking good independent fearless life. Fucking bastards!

 

Their funeral was attended by many grannies and grandpas from Aangan Hamara who felt that it was they who should have left for heaven instead of those young souls. In the evening there was a candle march. What is the meaning of candle marches? I never understood what good will happen with such marches. I wish people of this country followed Hitler and not Gandhiji! Laaton ke bhoot baaton se nahi maante.

 

Kavitha Amma is now going to move in with us, i.e. my family in Powai. It was Rahul’s and Sneha’s wish that they adopt Amma if they ever plan to live together. Now I feel it is my responsibility to fulfil their wish of adopting the lovable Kavitha Amma. My sweet parents wouldn’t have any problem with this decision of mine.

 

I have stopped thinking about marriage. Whatever has been destined, will happen. Till then all I can do is keep my parents and Kavitha Amma happy.

 

With Sneha and Rahul gone forever, I end my diary here. Jai Jinendra.

No comments: