Saturday, June 26, 2021

CHAPTER 91 to 95

 

Chapter 91

 Rahul’s Diary

 23rd April 2012

 

  

After almost 3 days of silence, today morning we had a meeting at Aangan Hamara to decide whether I should leave the old age home so that those hooligans do no harm to this holy place or should I stay here and give those assholes a fight back that they will remember for years to come. The trustee of the old age home – Mr.Jayeshbhai Maganlal Patel - had also come today. I am never ever going to forget what happened today as it was one of the most moving things happened in my life till now.

 

In the center of Aangan Hamara there is this small garden where every old soul gathered to decide whether I should leave or stay. Sanjaybhau, the manager of the old age home, started the meeting by sharing with everyone the first hand information about what happened on 20th April. The majority of the grannies and grandpas had a very confusing look on their faces as on one hand there was the issue of security of their home and on the other hand it was about my dismissal not only from the old age home but also from their lives. The trustee was of the opinion that majority would decide my fate. He threw the question to the people in the audience. Bhagat dada from Pandharpur said that he would side with the safety of the old age home rather than risk their life for me. Shaanti daadi from Vasai also took his side. Baalu dada


from Thane also took their side. My heart was pounding with each vote going against me.

 

Just then Kavita Amma came forward and said, “Dear all, I know what happened that day. I saw that those mavaali people came and threatened us to have our sweet Rahul thrown out of this old age home. If I were to be selfish then yes even I would ask Rahul to leave this place and let us be safe. But you only tell me dear brothers and sisters, with Rahul’s exit would our Aangan Hamara be the same as before? Would there be the same energy and optimism and liveliness and positivity without our Rahul. Rahul is not just another stranger for us. He knows more about us than our own children who disowned us in the prime of our life. This sweet kid here- Rahul- knows what I like for breakfast. He knows what you- Bhagatbhai- like for dinner. He knows what you-Deshpande behen- like to wear on Tuesdays when you want to go to the nearby Ganesha temple. He knows what upsets us and what keeps us happy. Tell me even one single incident since his arrival when we haven’t enjoyed his company. Tell me one single moment when we have cribbed having him around. Tell me just one day when we felt we were better off without this sweet kid. Normally we believe that love should happen only between opposite genders. Right? Boy should love a girl and vice versa. But where in our scriptures is it written that love for the same gender is wrong. And even if it is opposed in those scriptures written thousands of years ago, I don’t agree with them. One should change with time. Rules should change with time. Our mindsets should change with time. As a kid I was always told not to cut nails and hair on a Saturday. What is the


logic behind it in current times? None. How on earth is cutting nails on a Saturday going to offend any God? Change is the only constant thing in life and we should change with time. We need to see what is right for our times and implement the rules accordingly. It is quite possible that generations ago it was never even thought that a boy can like a boy or a girl can like a girl. That doesn’t mean there were no guys who liked guys or no women who loved women. It is quite possible that we all had one friend in our childhood too who liked person of same sex. Isn’t is possible Bansal behen? Shailesh bhai, when I first met you here, I saw you were staring at the handsome Bhagat bhai. So it is quite possible that you are gay too! I am not saying that you are, don’t worry. All I am trying to say is that liking someone from same gender is not wrong and that we should not be very judgemental about our sweet Rahul and we should try to think from his angle and let him live a happy life here itself at Aangan Hamara. As long as love between same gender doesn’t personally cause a problems to others, I think we should support our Rahul and thousands who are like Rahul.”

  

When Kavita Amma ended her speech, I just couldn’t hold back my tears. I didn’t give a damn whether I would be told to go or stay. For a second I just stood there wondering how inhumane her kids had to be to keep such a loving and understanding woman away! I ran and hugged Amma. After Amma’s speech, a poll was taken about my fate. The hands that wanted me to leave were now the ones who wanted me to stay back and be a part of their life. Every damn soul in the audience wanted me to keep being a part of this lovely Aangan


Hamara family. Even everyone from the cooking staff, maintenance staff and watchmen raised hand in my favour. Sneha also couldn’t stop crying. She came and hugged me and assured that she would be by my side forever. With so much love from elders and caring from a friend like Sneha and faith and backing from the people of my community, kisika baap bhi mera kuch nahi bigaad sakta!!!

 

All the while my eyes were searching for Saahil. I thought that he might have realised his mistake and would come to the old age home again. Whatever he decides, I just wish the best for him. It’s time to fight back and give the anti-gay jerks something that they will never forget!


 


Chapter 92

Sneha’s Diary

 24th April 2012

 

  

Hi Georgie, yesterday there was a meeting at the old age home to decide whether Rahul should continue to stay there or not. Everyone from Aangan Hamara was asked to vote about Rahul’s future.

 

I cannot even tell you how moved I was to see the support of those dear grannies and grandpas. Kavita Amma as ever was my hero. She delivered a very passionate speech as to why Rahul and the likes of Rahul are not doing anything wrong in this world by asking for their rights. Everyone heard her speech in rapt attention.

 

Tomorrow a few LGBT friends of Rahul are going to meet him at the old age home to decide how we should fight back the goons who are making my Rahul’s life hell. I will update you soon when we have that discussion.

 

By the way I have consciously decided not to hate Saahil for the nice guy he is. After his proposal that day and the way my dreams got crushed, I now understand how difficult it must be for him to face rejection from the one girl that he loved like anything. I now respect his feelings and I will make sure that I don’t do anything to hurt him further.

 

By the way tonight Aai and Baba are going to US to be near my dear Vandu now that she is pregnant. Lucky she is na! Good looking Jiju,


nice salary, living in clean and spacious homes unlike the dirty and cramped 2 BHK here L. And on the top of all those good things, she is now going to be a mother! Lucky! Wonder when I will get lucky! Georgie, please pray for me naL I too want a daughter like the sweetu cutu Aditi from my building. BTW Sunita didi has filed for a divorce and her husband is still in jail under the section 377 which says that gay sex is illegal. One thing that I think is wrong here is that gay sex is illegal. I totally agree that her husband be punished for cheating her and now making her life hell. Imagine the humiliation Sunita didi is facing now! But I don’t think that Aditi’s father should be jailed for same gender sex. Cheating your wife is definitely wrong. But if you are 18 and above and are having sex with an adult from same gender then that shouldn’t not be considered wrong; at least that is what I think.

 

Anyway, will let you know what we brainstorm tomorrow.

 

 



 

Chapter 93

Sneha’s Diary

25th April 2012

 

Today was a very fulfilling day for me as my perspective towards life has changed a lot today. I reached Rahul’s room at around 11.00 AM. 3 girls and 4 boys were already sitting there. Rahul introduced me as one of his best friends. I felt so good. J Then those 7 guys and girls also introduced themselves. Those girls were lesbians. And the guys were gays. I always used to wonder how these LGBT people would be like. Would they be having horns on their heads that differentiates them from the heterosexuals or would they be having a totally weird style of talking or behaving! But I was shocked to find that they were as similar to me as any other heterosexual person. All that was different about them was that the girls liked girls and the boys liked boys. That’s it! These 7 had met Rahul at the gay pride parade. I recollected their faces from the video that Rahul had made me when he outed himself to me.

 

Vrajesh, Rahul’s friend who was recently attacked by the goons, was also there in the meeting. We brainstormed a lot of ideas as to what could be done to give an appropriate answer to the fundamentalists and the dogs of the local politician who challenged Rahul to stand against him in the upcoming municipal elections.

 

Dikshita, a Jain girl from Borivli, suggested that we should start a massive campaign to urge every homosexual in India to come out of


the closet on May 17th as it is also popular as the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia. She suggested that every LGBT person should come out of the closet on 17th May and put a status on every damn social networking site like Facebook or Twitter and others. There should be an avalanche of some sort and only then there will be an impact that the media will care to cover. Nice idea I think. Then Vrajesh suggested that we need to start creating ripples in the political arena first and then one day there will be a tsunami of change that India is waiting to witness. He suggested that we should field our candidates in every constituency in municipal corporation in Maharashtra – be it Mumbai, Pune or Thane or any and every corporation in Maharashtra. Rahul raised a doubt whether the general people will even give a damn to LGBT people standing against the already influential heterosexuals in those constituencies. But Aslam, who handles one of the largest pages on Facebook, suggested that they should take the risk if they want to do something huge. Every journey starts with a small step. So now this is our plan.

 

1)   Start a campaign to urge every LGBT person to gather courage and out themselves (if they haven’t yet) on 17th May 2012 and also post their acceptance of true identity on social networking sites with a hashtag of #YesIamFree. Also campaign to convince the heterosexual people to share the success stories of their friends coming out by using the hashtag #ProudLGBTSupporter


2)   In the meantime try to meet as many people from the LGBT community and convince able candidates to contest the upcoming municipal elections in July.

 

3)   Start campaign to create awareness about the universal rights of every human being in this country.

 

I have taken up the challenge to spread the awareness in Dombivli and Kalyan constituencies. Soumya, Dikshita’s love, suggested that I also contest the elections from the Kalyan Dombivli Municipal corporation and not just try to spread the awareness. I was kind of shocked because I was just thinking to be a part of all this for Rahul’s sake and to be, you know, an actual doer or an important person in the whole thought changing process, I would have to contemplate a lot more. I said that I would require time to think whether I would actually stand in the upcoming KDMC elections and project myself as an LGBT candidate. Normally I don’t think much about what Deshpande kaaku or Joshi kaka or Vernekar maavshi would think about whatever I do in life. But if I nominate myself as a candidate and start taking up these LGBT issues in the open, then people might think that I am a lesbian!!! Oh god no!

 

I don’t think I should show so much enthu in all this.

 

Or should I?

 

By the way I will also include Saahil into all this. I am sure he wouldn’t say no to my request. Why should I be the only heterosexual in the core team? His company will make me feel good and he can also make some PJs when our team needs some relaxation. J

 

Am I not a smart girl, Georgie? J


 


 

Chapter 94

 

Saahil’s Diary

26th April 2012

 

  

Hi Diaz,

           How are you dear?

 

Today Sneha mailed me. She has now joined some LGBT movement to fight for the rights of homosexuals. She now wants me to join their core team. She said that my accounting and banking knowledge would come handy to their team. Not sure how. But let’s c.

 

Btw my inbox is nowadays flooded with fan-mails. Yes! Fan mails! And that too female fan mails!!! My dream is coming true! Many girls seemed to have been floored by my story “the park bench” in the recent anthology. That anthology is on number one in every damn bookstore. I am very happy. There is this one girl who is like totally bowled over me. This is what she writes:

 

“hi dear Saahil,

 

Loveliest regards to one of the loveliest authors I have read in recent times. I read your story “the park bench” and I was like totally totally floored. I was like totally crazy over that story. I sooooooooooo loved the character of Sumedha and like totally adored the way how she finds her true love at the park bench. I too hope to be somebody’s Sumedha someday. I don’t want to sound very typical girlie types, but


do you have any such Sumedha in real life? If not then maybe we can meet for a coffee or something at some park. What say?

 

I hope you do reply. Chances are less because you are such a big-shot author!

 

Anyway,

 

Bbye

 

Lovely kisses from your biggest fan-

 

Virali Modi.”

 

I received that mail in the morning and I still can’t stop blushing! I mean I am now like a hot property all of a sudden! I am getting fan mails and now Sneha also is trying to be in touch! Looks like Shanidev is cooling off for a while! Good for me!

 


 

Chapter 95

 Rahul’s Diary

 29th April 2012

 

 

Hi dear diary. Saahil has again joined the old age home. He strictly told me that I should know my boundaries and that he will not give a warning if I cross the line and try to be over friendly with him. He said that he was convinced by Sneha to rejoin the old age home and that he will contemplate over how he can be of use in helping us in the LGBT movement. Whatever works for him!

 

 

We 9- Aslam -the handsome hunk-, Vrajesh, Sneha and 2 more guys and 3 girls gathered at my room on 25th to discuss what we could do to change the landscape for the LGBT brethren in India. A few ideas thrown around were about having an LGBT awareness campaign, fighting the municipal elections from every seat from Maharashtra, a mass-coming out of the closet on May 17th

 

Yesterday I had a word with Sanjay bhau the manager about what our core team has planned. He was pretty OK with it as long as the old age home was not under threat. I had an hour long discussion with Kavita amma about what I was doing and where we were heading in the fight to create a better environment for my brethren. Amma was pretty excited about my idea of fighting the elections against that politician. At one point she suggested that she would also like to be a part of the movement. I smiled and pulled her cheeks and thanked her for even

 


saying that. But on a serious note I wouldn't want to bother her or anyone from Aangan Hamara.

 

It’s been around a week that we had registered an FIR against the goons who had tried to threaten me, but still no action from the police. Support from the rouge politician must have helped those goons. It’s so worth noting how these anti-social elements and fundamentalist come to together burning the religion divide to stand against something that is being done to help millions of people live a happy contended life being comfortable in their own skin.

 

After 13 days we will have a march right from the far flung Mumbai suburbs and far off places to south Mumbai. That march will be to highlight the mass-coming out on May 17th and also to spread a message that WE are not alone and WE are going to start from the bottom of the politics i.e. the municipal elections. I am going to head the creative and strategy team. So it’s a big responsibility for me because tomorrow if this movement slows down or fizzles out, then it will be because of me. And I will not fucking let that happen. Not till my last breath.

 

So with such a busy schedule I hope I get time to update you dear diary.

 

I know I must have said this before but I really like coming to you and sharing what I go through. It kind of lessens my pain and makes me stronger to face a new day. I feel that everyone should have this diary writing hobby. I am really thankful to Abhishek Agarwal sir for inculcating this diary writing hobby in me! If and when I defeat that sly


politician in the upcoming elections, I will surely go and meet Abhishek sir and thank him for the motivation.

 

Gotta sleep now dear diary. Gn.

No comments: